Call us on 020 7193 7867 Book an appointment

The links below give detailed information on Drugs used to treat osteoporosis


Bisphosphonates  There are several different kinds of bisphosphonate. Some are taken by mouth, while others are given by intravenous injection (a slow injection into a vein).  Pamidronate, ibandronate and zoledronate are all types of bisphosphonates.
Read more about bisphosphonates.


Teriparatide and parathyroid hormone – These help regulate calcium levels in your blood.  They come in a ‘pen’ syringe and are injected under your skin.
Read more about teriparatide and parathyroid hormone.


Denosumab – This is used for postmenopausal women who can not take bisphosphonates and in men who develop osteoporosis as a result of treatments for prostate cancer.
Read more about denosumab.


Raloxifene – This is used to treat spinal osteoporosis in post-menopausal women following a fracture. It is given in a tablet form and taken daily.
Read more about raloxifene.


Calcitonin – This is not used in the UK, only available as an injection to reduce pain from pelvic and vertebral fractures in the time shortly after they occur.  It should only be used for a maximum of 4 weeks.
Read more about calcitonin.


Strontium ranelate – This is taken daily at least 2 hours before or after food. It comes as a powder which you mix with water.


HRT – is mainly used as a short-term therapy for early post-menopausal women with increased fracture risk who have troublesome menopausal symptoms.
Read more about HRT.


Calcium and vitamin D  Not getting enough calcium and vitamin D can increase your risk of fractures.  You may be given supplements to help reduce your risk and to promote better responses to other treatments for osteoporosis.

Read more about calcium and vitamin D.