Some commonly asked questions about our Clinical Care, what is involved, and how we can help you.
London Osteoporosis Clinic offers a holistic approach to care.
What are the benefits over going through the NHS?
- Ease of access: we give care at a location and time to suit your circumstances; we can often see referrals the same or next day and after office hours.
- Full assessment: we can arrange (often immediately) a full set of investigations, including scans, such as DEXA (studies show only a fraction of patients in whom it is clinically indicated, actually get a scan on the NHS).
- Full range of treatments: We offer a full range of clinical evidence-based treatments (not restricted as in the NHS). Our target is to help achieve the best outcomes for patients.
- Following the consultation, the patient, GP or Referring Clinicians will receive a copy of the clinic letter.
Do I need a referral?
- Self-paying patients can self refer (GP referral not required).
- Patients can be referred by GP’s or Healthcare Professional.
- Some Private Medical Iinsurance providers, such as AXA PPP, will arrange your first appointment for you.
- LOC at present does not directly see NHS referrals.
How quickly can I be treated?
Usually when it is convenient for you, often on the same day or the same week and at a time that suits you.
Are appointments only available in London?
We can arrange appointments in Harley St or at The Shard but also at various locations around the UK. Please call to discuss where would be suitable for you. Tel: 020 7913 7867
What is your success rate?
We aim to improve bone density in all our patients using evidence-based treatments to maximise the benefits to you. Most patients improve with treatment and we closely check the response to treatment.
What happens at my appointment?
- All patients are clinically assessed and examined by a consultant specialist.
- A tailored investigation takes place
- A bespoke treatment plan is developed jointly with patients and their families to achieve optimum long term bone health and to prevent fractures.
- A written summary and treatment plan are communicated with patients and their clinicians.
What happens after my appointment?
There will be follow up appointments as required to track the progress being made. This is a results-lead service and we would expect a positive outcome within 12 months.
What are your fees?
You can see detailed information about our fees and what this includes here.